Low carb, high protein diets are becoming encouragingly popular in the present decade. Because of busy schedules most people residing in cities fail to get time to exercise. So, choosing food sensibly becomes extremely important to lead a long, healthy life. If you want to lose excess weight and maintain some muscle mass, this article is for you.
Do you require a high protein diet?
Before following a high protein diet, you must ask yourself a significant question: How much is the requirement of protein in your body? If you are not that active physically, a high protein diet is definitely for you. There has to be enough movements and hard work throughout the day to digest the protein.
Protein needs also depend on several factors such as body weight, height, age, activity levels, health and sex. So, you might not require a high protein diet. Lessening dependence on processed foods, eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meat will keep you fit.
Foods to avoid or limit:
- Starches and grains- rice, cereals, breads, baked goods, pasta, etc.
- Sugary drinks- sweetened tea or coffee, beer, alcoholic beverages, packaged juice, etc.
- Sweeteners- maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave, honey, sugar, etc.
- Processed foods- fried chicken, pizza, French fries, etc.
Foods to include in this type of diet:
- Fish- shrimp, cod, clams, flounder etc.
- Dairy- protein-rich dairy products such as cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt.
- Eggs- egg whites and whole eggs.
- Condiments- pepper, spices, fresh herbs etc.
- Seeds and nuts- pumpkin seeds, peanut butter, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, walnut etc.
- Non-starchy veggies- peppers, cauliflowers, broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, etc.
- Poultry and meats- turkey, bison, chicken, etc.
- Beverages- herbal tea, unsweetened potable water, unsweetened coffee, and fresh fruit juices.
Health advantages of consuming low carb and high protein meals:
Although individuals who are less active need less protein, pregnant women, athletes, and physically active people should make sure that the body gets sufficient protein to perform all tasks efficiently. Both low carb foods and high protein foods have numerous benefits on our over wellbeing:
- Weight loss- Weight loss is the biggest advantage of limiting dependence on carbs and increasing reliance on protein foods.
- Heart health- Low carbs make your heart healthy and lessen chances of attacks
- Body composition- When we lose weight, the muscle mass decreases, making us weak. Including proteins in your daily diet will preserve the body’s muscle mass.
- Bone health- Research reveals that protein-rich foods make our bones strong and lessen fracture risk in senior citizens.
- Regulation of blood sugar- Both low carb and high protein eating patterns have proved to be natural remedies for keeping blood sugar levels in check.
The type of diet mentioned in this article is mostly followed by athletes and sports persons. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is crucial for all. So, exercising, eating nutritious foods, staying away from junk foods, drinking plenty of water, and getting sufficient sleep at night are some healthy habits everyone should follow.